Monday, August 18, 2008

Budweiser American Ale???

It appears that Budweiser is going to pretend that they're craft brewers after two decades of decreasing sales to try to compete with breweries that actually make beer. Obviously living in the land of the craft microbrew has influenced me in this opinion. Portland not only has the most microbreweries in the world, but in my opinion some of the best beer in the world. With the increasing popularity of craft beers that don't taste like urine mixed with water but actually have taste and substance, it is not all that surprising that Budweiser would pretend to be one of these brewers themselves. After all, only so far you can get by making a Pilsner with mostly rice extract!

I will admit that I have not tasted this beer (I'm not sure it's out yet) but this is my prediction... While Budweiser has no excuse for making bad beer with the money and the research facilities they have, Budweiser American Ale will be mediocre for two reasons:

1. They won't spend the kind of money necessary to make good beer. Their ingredients will be either sub-par or they won't use the amount necessary because they're more interested in making a buck than actually creating a quality beer.

2. Once again, because they are more interested in making a buck than creating good beer, they will create a recipe that almost tastes like a craft beer but will be watered down to appeal to the largest audience of beer drinkers that don't actually know what real ale should taste like. I'm sure it will taste great compared to regular Budweiser, but it won't cut it as a craft beer.

These are my cynical thoughts, but you've got to agree, Budweiser doesn't have a good history of making anything that would qualify as beer! If I'm wrong, I will be more than happy to get on here and repent!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Dustin-

I'm lurking on all the bloggers Tiereny listed...

Many years ago, when I was living in Holland, I was at a bar and all these Europeans next to me were drinking loads of budweiser since they thought it was the cool American thing to do-

Bleck.

Anonymous said...

"Not some trendy micro-brew" is their a slogan. I thought that was something you'd appreciate. I thought this would show up on this blog sooner than later.

Dustin said...

Hey Mary, that's funny. I've heard several people say the same thing when they return from various countries, that they dig Bud.

I wonder if that's what they of some of the imports Americans drink. "Can you believe the people in America are drinking Heineken?"