Tuesday, April 17, 2007

If you are looking for an overview of the actual contributions to philosophy by Derrida, Foucault, and Lyotard (quite possibly my favorite philosopher name), then this is a fantastic resource. Not only does the James K.A. Smith summarize (as best as one can) these philosopher's main works, he also takes a positive position on how these ideas can benefit the faith and the church.

At my Bible College, looking back now I feel that I got robbed of actually understanding the philosophy of these fellows but instead they got demonized as the antichrist and mostly misrepresented for what they actually said. This is a much clearer portrayal of their actual thoughts and how it contributes to postmodernity in a very readable book. I highly recommend it!

For my advanced hermeneutics class our final project has been to do a white paper for each of the following philosophers: Derrida, Foucault, Rorty, Wittgenstein, Fish, and Ricouer and their contribution to postmodern thought and hermeneutics. This has been a fantastic study thus far! Many thanks to Chris for helping to make sense of and define some of these concepts for me last week over a pint (where philosophy should be done!)

No comments: