Thursday, April 12, 2007

2007 - A Great Year For Music

I haven't really talked a whole lot about music lately so here's some new stuff that I'm really digging. Let me know what you're listening to!

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
This album is fan-freaking-tastic! This might be one of my favorite releases so far this year and I just started listening to it this week. He is so talented. I think I like this better than The Mysterious Production of Eggs. Wow, i'm very impressed.


Dr. Dog - We All Belong
Bringing some of their Philly goodness.





The Clientele - God Save the Clientele
This is a band that I had heard of and Chris recommended. I like it.




Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
Good follow up to Howl but i'm still not fully into yet. It's got some great potential.





Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara
Yes, that is true that this album hasn't come out yet but when it does, get it! It's great if you like their other work. Nothing real new or groundbreaking for them but it's still a great rainy day listen.


Islands - Return to the Sea
I can't believe I haven't listened to this before. Very quirky, almost silly in some places but what a great use of unique instruments! Very catchy and a unique sound. Try to listen to Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby and not have it in your head the rest of the day.


Jeremy Enigk - World Waits
Sure his voice inflections are the same in every song, so what? It's Jeremy Enigk, what's their not to like?




The One AM Radio - This Too Will Pass






Richmond Fontaine - Thirteen Cities
Bordering on almost too much of a country sound for me, but not quite! Great songwriting and storytelling. Worth a listen just for that.



This list isn't complete until I list some albums I have not liked lately:
1. Rosie Thomas - With Help From My Friends
2. Fountains of Wayne - Traffic and Weather (time to try something new guys)
3. The National - Boxer
4. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times (I keep wanting to like them and they always have a few good songs, but there are also always a few songs that make me wish the band never existed (such as Day Old Blues or Charmer). I always love their artwork though!)
5. Ted Leo - Living with the Living (I have yet to hear a Ted Leo song that I can remember after I hear it) .
6. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (Put a bullet in my head)

Being negative like this feels good sometimes. One of those days I suppose.

Notice on my list of stuff I like lately that there are NO women. Why is that? I like women. I like women's voices. I feel like it's really hard to find something from a women band that I like (although the new Innocence Mission is growing on me). Any suggestions???

One bone to pick with Innocence Mission's song "Happy Birthday". It sounds like she's smiling when she sings the chorus of this song and that really bothers me. I don't like when it sounds like the singer is smiling. It's goofy. I also think that the lead singer's voice sounds a little too cute. This is a album i listen to when I want to feel like a woman. I'm not really helping anything by continuing this post. I think i should quit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

listen to "ballad of the sin eater" by Ted Leo on "Hearts of Oak." it may change your mind!

DJ Word said...

the latest Ted Leo is good, has some wonderful songs. But his last album is very memorable in my opinion.

Listen to it again and see what I mean. It was a great album.

As for Kings of Leon, I must disagree. But, I am a southerner. Maybe southerners understand the music on a different level, like meth or X addicts and techno or gays and disco.

DJ Word said...

btw, I am planning a similar posting soon with great stuff I have lived with a while and crap I have tried but do not like (esp. in light of pitchfork and hipsters).

Anonymous said...

i really like World Waits...

why don't you like rosie thomas' new one?

Anonymous said...

dustin - try out loney dear. album is loney noir.

tell me what you think

bill said...

whenever you make lists regarding music that you like or dislike...i get to play the game "how many of these bands have i heard of?"

i did very bad this time. but hey...it gives me something to search on itunes.

anyhoo, as far as good girl stuff...i know they're nothing new but 'over the rhine' is always at the top of the list for me.

also, have you heard of 'sixpence none the richer'? they have this song 'kiss me'...i think its going to huge.

or the band 'plumb'?

sorry, i'll stop being an ass. (i was serious about 'over the rhine' though)

Dustin said...

Jeff - I don't know why, just can't get into it. maybe i'll give it another listen.

rick, ok. yes, i think southerners must understand something about KoL that i am missing!

Devin, i'll check it out! Thanks for the recom.

Bill, you're an ass, but you're a funny ass. Made me laugh.