Wednesday, April 18, 2007

American Idol

There's no question that American Idol and it's winners from years past produce the worst music in the industry (I don't think that is an overstatement). But what is worse about the show is how it is not "reality" television in any way. The producers show what they want to show to cast those they want to move on as heroes and those they want to lose, they either never show, or cast in a bad light. How is that reality?

I had heard about the website www.votefortheworst.com but just now checked it out today. Very entertaining. Make sure you read this article about what really goes on behind the scenes. I absolutely believe this happens. I think American Idol displays the worst of American pop culture, it is the pinnacle of how stupid we have become (i may have overstated that, maybe). At the least, it does a great job building stories around mostly "no-talent ass clowns" to quote Michael on Office Space.

Come on, look at these albums!














Do you notice how the album art all has one thing in common? It's clear that what they are selling is not the music. It's the person that you think you got to know during the season. I'm convinced that none of this has anything to do with music. Who's buying this stuff??? Seriously, who are you that buys this??? "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

kelly clarkson?

Dustin said...

yeah, her too.

Betsy said...

amen!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly is not bad. At least not as bad as the others.

Couldn't the same thing be said of churches and pastors? I mean, look at the covers of Ed Young, Joel Olsteen, TD Jakes books. What do you see? People following megalomaniac (Christian ones) preachers that make them feel good about themselves.

People eat that stuff up like cheap candy.

"The Muffin Man"

Dustin said...

yeah, it could absolutely be said of those guys. No question about it. This goes way beyond American Idol, it's just one easy example.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, Carrie Underwood is hot! Didn't you see her sing Alone by Heart? Great stuff.

Jeff

Dustin said...

you've proved my point exactly Jeff, thanks!

DJ Word said...

from the album covers, I would buy Katherine McPhee's..

Dustin said...

i would buy Fantasia's armpit.

Betsy said...

hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Carrie Underwood can actually sing. Sanjaya on the other hand...needs to be punched square in the face. :)

Jeff

Tyler said...

I clicked on that link and it started a fire in my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I could care less about American Idol, but I did want to compliment you on the subtle "Zoolander" quote at the end of your post. "I invented the piano-key necktie! What have you done, Dustin?!"

John V

Dustin said...

i'm glad you appreciated that John. It's one of my favorite sequences in the movie!

Zach Below said...

Don't forget about Bucky Covington. He just released his fantastic crap of an album last week.

Dustin said...

yeah! I forgot about Bucky!

The Anonymous Human said...

Um...(in a quiet voice, almost a whisper)...I like American Idol.

Dustin said...

that's alright man, you're still welcome around here.

Anonymous said...

u r a fag/////r u a pussy