Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I just saw Harry Potter

Total Suckfest! I am convinced on this one, if you haven't read the book, you're probably not really going to understand what's going on. They didn't even really explain the Order of the Phoenix! Not to mention the changes in the plot in several places. It just doesn't make any sense if you're a fan of the books. I asked Kelli as we got home, "why do we keep seeing these things? every one of them is disappointing!" I think the movie had some cool scenes but this one I can literally say, it has absolutely nothing on the book. This was so under-developed and left so much out but I'm not sure I know the answer, the movie would have to be about 4 hours long to really nail it.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I enjoyed the movie. I guess I look at the movies being totally seperate from the books.

My dad hates the movies because he sits there and instead of watching the movie makes a list of everything that gets left out or that they changed.

I don't do the whole comparison thing because I know the movies can't possibly follow the books. I take them for what they are, which I think allows for me to enjoy them.

You must admit Dumbledore and Volde going at it like a couple of gun slingers was pretty sweet.

Dustin said...

yeah, the final scene was pretty cool. I also loved when Dumbledore disappears in the office when the minister was going to take him to Azkaban. that was cool.

i guess i'm one of those annoying people who do compare the movie to the book. the movie to me just seemed way to choppy and disconnected. I felt like i saw a half-story.

g13 said...

dustin, i think you make a valid point about the under-developed transitions and "stupifying" omissions from the original text.

however, i thought the movie was a pretty successful adaptation. i thought the director balanced the dark mood well with refreshing moments of levity (ron's denunciation of someone as a "toss-pot" was one of my favorites). moreover, the final scene was definitely worth the wait.

the only movie i liked better was azkaban. and i have no idea how to conclude this comment.

Anonymous said...

man u got to get a job, u are a leech