Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The Restoration Movement (movement or two day revival?)

I'm starting to question not that some sort of movement happened but rather the extent of this movement and the impact it had on the church in the United States. After being in New York City for two years and being in contact with several different denominations it has come to my attention that NO ONE has heard of the Restoration Movement, no one has heard of Alexander Campbell or Barton Stone or any of those guys. When I bring it up around church leaders of other denominations they have no idea what I am talking about. This has made me question how important this so called movement was in the first place if no one else has heard of it besides some people who come from the Midwest. I'm not doubting that these things happened, i'm just not sure it was the huge revival that everyone makes it out to be. Actually i'm doubting that it was that impactful at all based on my discussions. I'm not trying to trash Restoration Movement churches but after being here for a few years it seems like most of them are behind on the times a little bit. The denominations that I see doing groundbreaking work are the Presbyterians and the Baptists. If you look at the churches that are doing incredible things i.e. Mosaic in LA, Fellowship Church, Solomon's Porch, Mars Hill, Spirit Garage, none of them are Independent Christian Churches. It's not that Christian Churches aren't doing well, it's just that I've realized that other denominations tend to stay in their circles (me included) and don't really know what is going on outside of their little circle of churches. And yes, we are a little circle of churches compared to what is going on out there. I'm just tired of seeing people sold out to their denomination over Christ and after the article from my last post, that is exactly what I'm seeing. These people worship the Restoration Movement and are exclusive to any other denomination. That is not the Restoration Movement I read about in class. That actually seemed like a cool thing, how i am seeing it play out is not anything I want to be a part of. I wish you could just start a church and not have to play the bullshit denominational games because that is all it is. In the long run i doubt God is going to care who was Baptist, who was Independent Christian Church, who was Presbyterian. I think God will care more about who is following Jesus Christ with their lives.

No comments: