Friday, February 13, 2009

NPC Day 3

Another good day, but starting to get conference weary. Best things...

1. Chip and I had a nice chat with J.P. Moreland and after a year of living in wonder and curiosity J.P. was kind enough to expound on what he said last year, "I am more confident that I have three angels surrounding me than that George W. Bush is our current president." Seems like a strange comment for one of the foremost Christian philosophers in the country to say. I'll type up the story in full soon. It's very interesting.

2. Good discussion at the on-site pub last night after the conference. I loved that the bartender Ron, had a button on his shirt that said "Welcome National Pastors Convention." Very fitting.

3. Christopher Wright after a long week was difficult to listen to after hearing the likes of Bell, Hybels, Willamon and others but it was worth it as he said a few things that have stuck with me and I will think about again such as when Paul talks about the gospel he starts with what it is doing in creation and then invites us into what is happening. It doesn't start with us and leave us wondering what will happen to everything else.

4. Skipped the panel discussion yesterday to go shopping with the boys at the mall. Seriously.

5. Bible study yesterday morning with Ben Patterson. He recited the first three Psalms from memory and told us how they ground the book of Psalms and inform our prayers.

6. Ruth Haley Barton spoke of the loneliness of the leader. A LOT of content so I was tuning in and out at times but what I received was important to think and pray through. I really appreciated what she had to say and am excited to read her book, "Strengthening the Soul of the Leader."

About ready to head to early morning bible study with Christopher Wright....

No comments: