Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dream Criticism

Last night I had a strange dream in which John Johnson (a professor at Western Seminary and pastor of Village Baptist Church) was giving me feedback on my sermons. He said, “I’ve never seen someone take so long to get to each point before. Not sure what to make of that.

He also said, “It seems like all of your sermons are written last minute. Huh, not sure that was a compliment either! Dream John did bring up a good point here however. I would like to spend more time in preparing by prayer and meditation.

He did actually give one compliment but of course I can't remember it.

1 comment:

Jim Krill said...

You're weird, Dustin. ^_^

In response to the second comment made, about preparing last minute - that's a bunch of b.s. because even if you do wait until the last minute, your whole lifetime goes into each sermon. So you could spend a bunch of time trying to make it "perfect" but what does that really mean. I'm not saying wing it by any means, but I'm just trying to encourage you that sometimes last minute sermons work because you're not left to change it too many times. On the flip side, sometimes a little research and extra meditation on a subject can help - especially in broadening the subject beyond just your own opinion or perspective...

All that to say... I enjoy your preaching... and I think you're funny - Kelli told me I should let you know that because you don't think anyone laughs at your little comments. I would but nobody really does laugh and I feel awkward if I did, but I do think you're funny. haha ^_^

Ok I'm done. Worst comment ever. Sorry.