Sunday, November 30, 2008

Neil Cole and Ed Young Jr.

Here's a good Leadership article interviewing two very different pastors: Neil Cole and Ed Young Jr. HT: Gentry

While I was in NYC I actually got to meet both of these guys. I met Ed Young Jr. at a church planters luncheon that the North American Mission Board had for about 30 or 40 pastors. And I did a two-day workshop on church planting with Neil Cole at the same venue ironically (thanks to my friend Paul Gomez). I cannot think of two different pastors than these two.

The luncheon with EYJ included popular catch phrases such as "It's the weekend stupid" and "People are people anywhere you go." Two phrases that I couldn't disagree with more. It also included pastors being giddy about meeting their idol which I didn't really understand at the time. One guy raised his hand and asked, "When are you going to plant a church in the city Ed?" followed by a flushed giggle. I almost vomited. But I will give Ed this, he remembered every single person by name on the way out. He certainly doesn't lack charm or charisma. But he also says things like, "That's off the chain."

The workshop with Neil Cole was about an organic style of church planting and the house church movement. This was something I was quickly drawn to and excited about. It seemed so much more natural and appealing, less about the Sunday production and more about relationships. Less about providing religious goods and services to demanding consumers and more about being a missional community. Neil Cole is one of those guys that if you don't like, it's your fault. He too has charm and charisma, but more in a toned down way. I think he could walk in anyplace and meet anyone and that seems to be key to his way of "doing church".

The article is a fascinating read. Enjoy!

No comments: