Friday, August 10, 2007

Views


Divine Foreknowledge: Four Views

I'm about half way done with this and I've got to say for those who love theology, this is a fantastic book! I love this series, I've read four of these books in the last year, I think I could read every book that has been made that has four or five views or whatever. I find them extremely helpful in understanding and appreciating other people's viewpoints on theological issues. It has gotten very specific though which I think is funny like "Four Views of the Warnings Passages in Hebrews." Really? There are four views on that?

Anyway, this one is really well done so far. The critiques of each others views are not necessarily harsh but very strongly worded as compared to some of the other "views" books. And it's funny because this is one of those things that (I would hope) no one's salvation is riding on yet you can tell it's a very passionate subject. Gregory A. Boyd's chapter (who is an open theist) was interesting but not very compelling. I honestly think Open Theism is a "fad theology" kind of like Moltmann's Theology of Hope or Process Theology. It's interesting for a while and it's new and kind of hip to believe but there's not much there beneath the surface (my honest opinion) but I do appreciate that they are thinking through what a relationship with God looks like and looking for other ways to explain suffering and evil. That is admirable. I would like to give it a fair shake however (as I think I am) and read John Sanders "The God Who Risks". I like John Sanders and Gregory Boyd and certainly count them as Christian brothers. I have much respect for them, but I just can't find anything compelling about this view. This is a solid book though and I believe our view on God's foreknowledge has a lot of practical implications for how and why we pray and really what we do with human suffering. I think the doctrine of God's foreknowledge is immensely practical in our lives and I'm glad that people are writing good books and helping us think through how we view what happens in our world (especially with all the craziness that is going on).

I also recomment "God's Greater Glory" by Bruce Ware (for an exact opposite view than Open Theism) and Terrance Tiessen's "Prayer and Providence" which I have only skimmed so far but look very valuable. Paul Helm has written a book simply called "The Providence of God" and this would also be a good example of the Calvinist/Augustinian position or rather that of "Meticulous Providence". I find the idea of "Middle Knowledge" espoused by Molina very interesting and would like to read more about that but I'm not really sure besides William Lane Craig (who is almost too smart to understand) writes about it.

Right now (although I know views change) I am a compatiblist meaning that I believe God's foreknowledge and sovereignty are compatible with human freedom but I'm not exactly sure of the how yet. I think middle knowledge provides a good answer but I need to read more.

Anyway, I have just totally nerded out here and I know some people will probably never read my blog again but hey, this is what interests me so BACK OFF! Just kidding, kind of.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom and I were at a home group way back when and our friend Don Taylor was telling us about his friend Bill Craig. As he spoke we were like do you mean William Lane Craig and he's like yeah you know Bill? Yeah...no. During our apologetics phase of faith formation we were very familiar with Craig's work. So count us in the nerd group! And you're right he is so smart it's scary.

James Christian Jr: The Rising Phoenix said...

OH! I'm tired! They killed the morning service on Chambers. Now all is in midtown. All end for Mosaic NY.
All of that is...missed. And you too.
The Journey doesn't have what we had when I was there in 2003.
Love ya!
James Christian

Dustin said...

wow! that's crazy! His response to the Gregory Boyd weighed heavily in the philosophy area and was pretty heavy waters. I think I need to read it again!

The Anonymous Human said...

Good luck Sunday! Glad my blog could be of help (end shameless plug on other blog. Begin comment) I love reading other people's take on controversial subjects. This is one of those that Bill Wolf and I have gone around and around on. I love telling people I believe in pre-destination and also belive in free will. When they ask how I can do that, I say because that's what the bible says, so I believe it. I don't understand it, but I believe it. I didn't realize this made me a confomitist or whatever you called it, but...okay, I'll take the label. Good stuff. Keep up the nerd stuff.

Dustin said...

Hey Jake, thanks! Yeah, I think those pictures are a great representation of the insignificant feeling David had when he was looking at the stars! Should be cool!

I think this particular subject is one that most people have gone around and around on. I have changed my views somewhat since college. Predestination i'm okay with but election is something that I've feel like I've been wrestling with forever. I'm starting to understand it a little more but it's still very muddy waters. I understand the positions okay but I'm having a hard time being consistent with my thoughts on this whole thing.

But yes, it sounds like you may be a compatiblist.