Monday, August 06, 2007

An Internet Fast

I think i'm going to take a break from non-work related internet things for the next week or so. That means, no checking the news pages 10 times a day to see if anything freakishly weird or seemingly important happened. No checking baseball scores throughout the day to see if the cheater has broken (by technicality) the record yet or my cubbies are headed into first. No checking bloglines to see what all my friends have to say about whatever (no offense!). No checking Myspace (which sucks anyway, not sure why I have a desire to check it). No checking Pitchfork reviews, no checking to see what new albums leaked, no checking my fantasy sports team three times a day to see who's going on the DL.

You can waste so much...ok...I can waste so much time on this stupid thing that you can start to live in a virtual dreamland where you waste hours a day looking at almost entirely worthless stuff and stop living real life. I'm not saying that I'm not living real life, but i'm just tired of the media telling me how to feel about stuff or what to get excited or sad or angry about. So, i'm going to go this next week without caring what pitchfork, cnn, myspace, or blogs have to say about anything and everything. For as fun, entertaining and enlightening the internet can be, sometimes I wish it would have never have been invented. Stupid Al Gore! Anyway, we'll see how it goes!

In other news, I had a nice Sabbath on Saturday and read the book of Exodus in one sitting. I've never really done that before and it always seems like it would be a hefty task but honestly it only took like 2 hours! There is something so refreshing about seeing the big picture of a book like that all at one time. It's hard to read two chapters, put it down, come back two days later, read two chapters, etc. and really get it. I've never felt that Scripture was so alive as I read through the entire narrative and was able to experience the highs and lows of the Israelite community throughout their struggle. I suggest it! Give it a shot sometime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True. Enjoy your week.
John V