Sunday, August 26, 2007

Opening Sept. 21

Into the Wild. A film adaptation of Jon Krakauer's book about Christopher McCandless, a college student who gives up everything to try to survive in Alaska on his own during the winter without any provisions or telling anyone else what he was doing. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that he obviously didn't make it. The book is a sad account of what happened as Krakauer retraces McCandless' steps and explores why a college student would spend his life savings to end up dying alone. It is truly a gripping and tragic read and I'm hoping that it will be a good re-creation of it on the big screen. I'm very excited to see this! I highly recommend reading the book.

1 comment:

DougieB said...

I'm not going to lie: I have no doubt that this adaptation will be nowhere even remotely close to how good Krakauer's book was, almost to the point that I'm actually not that excited to see it.

Doesn't it seem a bit ironic? McCandless's story is a tragedy of a man attempting to lose himself from the world of technology and American myopia, and now there's a movie made by Paramount that'll make money to feed the machine..

Goodness, I'm a cynic, eh? Poo-pooing a movie about one of my favorite books? You'd think i kicked puppies for a living, or something.