Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Video Meltdown

This year was the first year that I worked on Christmas Eve and Christmas. It was quite a letdown that I was not able to participate in anything with our church community, nor do anything with family. I'm really getting worn out on my job. After about 4 straight nights at the video store I have gotten completely burnt out on people. The selfishness of the individual never quite truly struck me until doing customer service. Here are a few truths about the video store:

1. No one is ever friendly.
2. No one has ever returned a movie late in their life.
3. No one will pay a late fee unless forced.
4. No one is willing to accept any mistake made by an employee.
5. If a mistake is made, all hell will break loose until they get at least 3 free movies out of it by throwing a temper tantrum.
6. If there is a line at all people will start huffing and puffing like they are a mad little three year old.
7. If there is any chance to bitch about ANYTHING, they will find it.
(examples include not having their favorite movie in stock, not getting to use a coupon that is expired, having to pay late fees, not being able to open an account without a debit or credit card, etc.)

I'm sure I could go on, but I just thought I would vent some of my frustrations. I have truly come to that point in this job where I am starting to despise people and that is not good. Every customer is a huge hassle. It's never as easy as just checking someone's video's out for them. I thought this job would be so much easier and less confrontational than it is. I think about 1 out of every 5 people leave the store angry because they cannot accept responsibility for having turned anything in late. I'm not sure what it is about working customer service where everyone feels like it is their right to treat you like crap. For some reason they believe that we are not human beings and have no worth at all. As many customer service people sheepishly accept it that customers can say or do whatever they want, I will not stand for it. If someone is treating me poorly I will call them out on it and refuse their service unless they act decently. I have said several times, "once you start treating me like a human, I will help you." Of course that breaks every rule there is in customer service but I will not be treated like a piece of dirt and if that gets me fired, so be it!

I hope that you who are reading this will treat people who serve you with some dignity and respect rather than being an A-hole when things don't go your way. The people that I ALWAYS help out (cancel late fees, give free movies, etc.) are the ones that treat me with respect and decency. The people who yell and scream can expect to never get anything.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow that after I work tomorrow night I get four or five days off! I need it. I'm about ready to lose it on someone. Just pray that someone isn't YOU!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Find some small consolation that you work in a video store. My husband's Christmas was filled with many of the same experiences, and he's pastor of our church!!! Apparently some people stop at the video store on their way to and from services!!! Hang in there, DB.

Dustin said...

hahaha, thanks anon! I appreciate your comment.

Anonymous said...

dude i hear you. that's one of the reasons why i hated working at Albertsons...people can be so cruel. and dumb

i applaud you for breaking the customer service employee "code of conduct"

hang in there...

Anonymous said...

Try working at a Disney hotel on Christmas Eve or Christmas. All I can say is that I will take your late fee, and raise you .75 a phone call charges, $60 a day ticket prices even though the park is closing at 5 for a Mickey's Christmas Party at which they must buy a second ticket, AND all restaurants on property booked for Christmas dinner. Seriously though, hang in there. Many people are a trial to say the least.

Sundi said...

Hey Great Pastor Rev. D! Honey, it's scary how our latest posts are similar, just opposite ends. You know I have worked in Customer Service in some form or fashion since I was 18 and I know how it's supposed to work, but there's always a breakdown somewhere. Hang in there and just laugh and smile, that ticks them off even more! LOL

Oh and about your comment on not liking people, yeah, don't let that happen. In God's work, that's kind of a big one! =)

I miss you and Kelli, happy New Year!