Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Top 5 Books on Spirituality

It’s my favorite time of the year. Year-end list making time! To warm up I’m going to do my favorite books . But because I have nothing else to talk about I’m going to break it into four days. With my top-five books read this year in Spirituality, Ministry, and Non-fiction, and then do a top ten of fiction. I know most of you could care less what my favorite books are that I have read this year, but I’m more doing this for me, because it is entertaining, but I would love to hear some feedback as I post these from you as well and hear about what you have read. I would love to read your year end lists on your blog as well so let me know if you have made one! I will start with Spirituality. Let the madness begin!

Spirituality:

1. New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
This could be one of my favorite books of all time. I know I will go back to it time and time again. Very simple yet profound. I have said this before but I feel a real connection to Thomas Merton and see him as one of my mentors from the grave. If you have not read anything from Merton, I would say this is one of his best.





2. The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian Mclaren
Always controversial, but not near as controversial as the name implies, this is another solid book from Mclaren who never stops forcing me to think through ideas and thoughts for myself.







3. Let Your Life Speak by Parker Palmer
This is a book that I know have impacted a ton of people’s lives which is why I read it. I read this at a crucial time when I was trying to figure out what I’m going to do with my life. It was helpful in terms of thinking through the idea of vocation.






4. The Genesee Diary by Henri Nouwen
I have always been fascinated with the life inside a monastery and this book takes you on a six month excursion through the daily workings of the monastery as well as Nouwens’ reflections during his stay.








5. Whistling in the Dark/Wishful Thinking by Frederick Buechner
These are pretty much just Buechner’s own dictionaries of theological and religious words but very insightful and laugh-out loud funny at times. I never thought I could have this much fun reading a dictionary!






Tomorrow I will tackle ministry books.

1 comment:

bill said...

i heart frederick buechner! i also heart thomas merton. good list. hey, i just made a year end list, too. check it out.

by the way, did you change your cell # after moving to portland? i tried calling the other day.