Saturday, December 02, 2006

Harry Potter Madness Month!

I'm obviously a little behind the times since I am just starting to read the Harry Potter series, but nonetheless in the month of December (and maybe some of January) I am trying to read all 6 of the books to catch me up in the series. This all started at the prompting of my wife Kelli who LOVES the books. I have really enjoyed the movies but remember very little about them so it is an excellent time to read the books. I just finished the first book today The Sorcerer's Stone and absolutely loved it. This truly is a fantastic book. It's clever, it's funny, it's suspenseful. And it's a good break from the heavy reading of Seminary! I can't wait to start the second one!

My favorite quote of this book comes from Dumbledore who anyone would be thrilled to have as their teacher when speaking of the stone which could create the elixir of life that would cause you to live forever. He said, "You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing. As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all-the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."

True enough Dumbledore.

3 comments:

Linzo said...

Hey Dustin! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the series. J.P. and I just started getting into Harry Potter in October. We've seen all the movies and I'm on book 6. On the Family Channel they are showing the extended versions of the first 3 movies with an inside look at the new one. Hope everything is going well for you both.

g13 said...

man, if you enjoyed the movies you are going to love the books.

my kellie just started reading the whole series again last weekend. as of this evening, she is within a couple of hundred pages of completing book V. man can that woman read.

when i was a young boy i was afraid of missing out on the rapture. now that i believe the rapture is a bunch of hooey the only thing i fear is tapping out before the release of book VII. well, that and the white throne of judgment, but i'm sure you get my drift.

Anonymous said...

I've only read the first one, let me know how it goes from there!