Monday, December 20, 2010

Some reflections on preaching...

I've been thinking about preaching today, mostly as a response to being dissatisfied with my own right now. I listened to a recent sermon from a college preaching professor of mine, J.K. Jones who is truly a master at the craft, but even more important than that, a person of integrity and character that you simply know spends a LOT of time in the presence of God.


What I noticed when listening to J.K. was the tone of joy that encompassed the entire thing. What he clearly wasn't trying to do was clear up every nuance, thought, question that people would have, nor was he trying to do the Holy Spirit's work of convicting. He wasn't seeking to be hard hitting, or impact-ful, so to speak. He told the story, drawing out a few implications through personal experience and examples and it was beautifully done. It engaged the emotions in a non-manipulative, but powerful way.


In any case, when I hear good preaching, it's hard not to contrast it with what I see myself doing. And I had a realization today, that my tone reveals what I think my purpose in preaching is supposed to be. And lately, for some reason I feel like I've been trying to co-opt the work of the Holy Spirit in his work in convicting of sin, or challenging "wrong-thinking", or whatever it may be. My preparation seems to come more out of a place of looking for areas to correct, rather than looking for ways to inspire or build up.

Yesterday, I preached the good news of the new creation and righteous king in Isaiah 11, but I felt like the tone of my sermon was NOT good news of the new creation and righteous king and right after the message was over, I felt regret, and largely felt irresponsible. There was a void in the sermon that was largely induced by the void in my own character and heart. I don't mean this in a dramatic, over-the-top way, but when joy is lacking in the sermon, generally, joy is lacking in the preacher's life. And I regret that deeply. It's not fair to the community. Joyful preaching comes from joyful people. And that's work that God and I have to do together in this next year. Hope should sound like hope!


It's also made me think of some questions for reflection during (or after) the sermon preparation process. Here they are:


Does it encourage imagination and deeper, continued thinking? Or does it shut down conversation and deaden imagination? Does it try to close every door, and answer every objection? Or does it inspire people to take up a thought-journey on their own and with the community?


When it’s over, do people feel like they were kicked in the ass, or feel generally numb? Or do they feel like they have been drawn into a better reality, feeling excited and hopeful about the future?


Is the preaching (tone and content) reinforced by my own character and experience? Or is there a felt-contradiction within myself or others as I speak the words I’ve prepared?


Does it inspire a love and compassion for God and one another? Or does it cause an increased level of guilt and anxiety toward God and one another?


Anyone care to add to these?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a really cool read, dustin. I think the very fact that you are really self-aware about stuff like this is one of the reasons you make a great pastor. As far as the whole joy tone goes, i have never thought of it before, but i see what you mean. I really like your "challenging 'wrong-thinking'" tone (haha, if that's what you wanna call it). I think it is most times inciteful and your theology is always spot on. I imagine that it would be interesting to have a balance between the two tones. cause i'd hate to see the other tone just go completely. ya know, some sundays one or the other or blend it. and obviously this is no donnie darko fear-love thing. "Like the whole spectrum of human emotion!" either way, good stuff. keep up the good work!

James

Dustin said...

thanks for the kind words James. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Community.

It's been a fear of mine to not be in one. Or the one I am in is not a close one!

Here in NYC, it's been some search. Many years.

Gallery, Mosiac(now Lower Manhattan Community Church), Journey....

They all have great ideas of being contemporary, but I sometimes think they tend to only attract wishy-washy people.

But I am in one that seems to be best.

Thanks DB!!!

James Christian Jr

P.S. Miss you. Visit sometime!


http://JamesChristianJr.Wordpress.com