Thursday, August 14, 2008

2008 Music @ the half-way point.

First, I've got to say that at this point last year, there were a lot more quality records than this year. I'm not sure what is going on this year but it's been kind of bleak for good new music. I can think of more disappointments than I can great records (the top of the list for that would be My Morning Jacket's flaming pile or garbage).

That being said, there are four albums that I've found myself going back to again and again and loving. I'll save my commentary for the end of the year, but here they are in no specific order.

Fleet Foxes - S/T

Check them out on Myspace

This is filling the hole My Morning Jacket left in my heart after they decided to become a ridiculously horrible band.














The Everybodyfields - Nothing is Okay

Their Myspace page.

Sweet sounds from the foothills of Tennessee. Actually I'm not sure Knoxville has anything to do with foothills but it should. Bill? Any comment?










A.A. Bondy - American Hearts

Myspace.
















Grand Archives - S/T

The year's first great record as well as the first album Devin Vaughn as ever actually liked that wasn't Elliot Smith or Sigur Ros. You think Pitchfork is tough on music?

Myspace.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

the rolling foothills of the smoky mountains...that's us! sorry, i'm not bill though.

Dustin said...

i actually meant to say Bill and Betsy! So, in any case, thanks for clarifying!

devin said...

fleet foxes are awesome. The vocals play such a primary role in their music that Pecknold's lyrics at times sound like merely a delivery system for harmonies, with references to meadowlarks, rising suns, and streams bolstering the rural and placeless evocations.

However, these are ultimately carefully and well-crafted compositions. On "White Winter Hymnal", a firelit roundelay that best showcases the band's vocal interplay, the lyrics convey strange, almost Edward Gorey-like imagery. Example: "I was following the pack/ All swallowed in their coats/ With scarves of red tied 'round their throats/ To keep their little heads from falling in the snow/ And I turned 'round and there you go."

Who knows exactly what the words mean, but the fairy-tale menace comes through in full color, and Peterson's floor-tom beat and the intricacy of the band's harmonies dispel the threat without diluting the mystery.

they have filled the my morning jacket hole in my heart as well. well said dustin

Dustin said...

haha, wow, that sounds a lot like Pitchfork's review. Wait a minute...that is Pitchforks review!

Anonymous said...

dustin, once again you've saved me from a dry spell musically with the everybodyfields. i can't stop listening to this album. i had downloads waiting for me on emusic.com. i love their harmonies together. perfect music for settling into my new apartment and really meaningful words to contemplate. her voice is lovely.

thanks :-)

Dustin said...

yes, I agree Misty, I think it's a beautiful record on several levels, the harmonies are good, the songwriting is fantastic, and the music has several rich layers to it. I've listened to this one a lot this year.

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you going to see aa bondy/ bon iver? I think they are stopping in Portland the day before Seattle. Should be an excellent show.

Dustin said...

i just saw they are playing this Friday at the Aladdin theater which is a sweet venue. unfortunately it's sold out. that would be a great show though.