Thursday, October 06, 2005

DCFC


Posted by Picasa

I borrowed Death Cab For Cutie's Tour Documentary from my buddy Jeff and watched it last night with Kelli while enjoying an Ybor Gold Brown Ale. I think I was most impressed by how positive and non-whiny it was. They just talked like normal guys about what it is like being on the road for a long period of time and it was entertaining to watch. I'm also impressed by what a good relationship they have with each other. With most band dvd's there is a lot of tension and at least one emotional outburst but on this dvd they seem like pretty mellow guys with a normal life to go back home to. It was refreshing to see a band that is not filled with pretentious jerks or whiny pampered babies. I couldn't believe the footage of them wheeling in their own stuff before a show! Wow! I'm not only impressed by their music, but by their demeanor as a whole. What a respectable band! I'm almost sad that they're popular now even though i'm glad they found success after all these years but now they're not just a band me and a few other people like anymore. Now they're shows are filled with 16 year old girls screaming because they are in love with Ben Gibbard! Stupid O.C. The fan base has changed a little but the music is just as solid as ever! It's interesting to see "Indie" bands becoming the new mainstream. It's really hard to tell what is really indie anymore and I'm honestly not sure I care.

Good music is good music. Granted there is not a ton of good music on major labels or on the radio and that is something I have always believed and have agreed to disagree many times with my friend Jay Lyons. (I love you Jay). But to only like a band who is obscure or on an "indie" label is immature and pretentious. How do you know if you're a music snob? If you like the band Clap Your Hands Say Yeah right now, you're probably a music snob. Because most likely the reason you like them is because they have the most asinine name in the history of band names and that somehow makes you cool and different. I'm tired of thinking that way or being scared someone is going to think what I'm listening to is lame. Screw that. I like Bon Jovi. Alright? You happy now? And I saw Reo Speedwagon and Styx twice! How do you feel about that? And one last thing, last year I saw Stryper's reunion tour at Irving Plaza with my friend Jon Hentrich. Yeah, hard to top.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

good post yo.