Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I listened to the new Pedro the Lion album yesterday and so far the only songs I really like are the first and the last songs. My favorite lyric so far is "bands with managers are going somewhere, bands with messy hair and smooth white faces..." That's funny, he's pretty cynical but i enjoy his writing. The other songs in the middle are kind of boring so far, maybe they'll grow on me. Of course the most controversy has been over David Bazaan using "fuck" in the second song on the album. It's funny how people blow things up. I'm not sure why they expect high standards our of David Bazaan. Why wouldn't he use that word? It's not like he's a professing evangelical Christian, and even if he was, i'm not sure why it's a huge deal. It's interesting how we make a big deal out of things such as people with no professing faith in Jesus Christ not living up to "our" standards. "Oh my gosh, she's getting drunk!" Why wouldn't she be getting drunk? What is stopping her? If I did not have a standard given to me by Jesus Christ, i'm sure my life would be a lot different. It's the problem of trying to change someone from the outside in, thinking that if we can change behavior then it will be easier for this person to become a Christian when in reality Christ has to have a presence in this person's life if change is possible. Change always happens from inside out.

No comments: