Thursday, October 08, 2009

Rob Bell @ Catalyst

I went to Catalyst a long time ago. I didn't really care for it. I loved hanging with my team, but the conference itself reminded me of the worst type of Church growth crap (with exceptions of course). Plus my grandmother died right when I got there so it may have colored the rest of my time there :(

In any case, just read this on Out of Ur about what Rob Bell said today and just want to say a hearty amen!

"Rob professed his amazement at Christian organizations that rank the most significant churches and organizations based on size. And they all profess to follow a Savior to said, “The last shall be first?” As Rob said, “Put away the crack pipe!”"

I cannot tell you how tired I am of these ridiculous lists from Outreach magazine or Church Marketing Sucks about the "fasted growing", "largest", or "most innovative (whatever that means)" churches, usually topping the list are the very pastors who did the voting (what a coincidence). I have no idea why pastors, who claim to follow Jesus, clamor for attention, recognition, and fame which is the exact opposite of what Jesus said to do! I'm glad that Rob Bell would say something like this at a conference that tends to breed that very disposition toward ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pastors have the same problem that most everyone else has: pride.

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.ghinn/greatsin.htm