Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Two Artists that....

...I'm Over:

M. Ward
Loved a few albums, but after listening to his latest (Hold Time), I realized that it sounds exactly like everything else he's done. I'm not sure it's possible for M. Ward to create any other sound than what he's created.

Andrew Bird
Listen pal, enough with the whistling already. At first I liked Andrew Bird, now he just irritates me.

...I just don't get:

Animal Collective
I don't understand Pitchfork's Radiohead-esque review scores. 9.6? 9.6! To me this just sounds like a jumbled, obnoxious, irritating mess. I can listen to it for about 3.4 minutes before I have to change it.

TV on the Radio
I've given their last two albums plenty of tries, but once again, just can't get into these guys. I get a few songs in and I have no idea what's going on.

...give me hope in music:

J. Tillman
This is the drummer from Fleet Foxes who has apparently been doing solo albums for quite some time now.

Anthony Da Costa
Now that Ryan Adams is apparently giving up music (we'll see), this is an up and coming songwriter that is worth a listen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do I put this nicely?

Expecting someone with simple taste in music to realize the greatness of Animal Collective or TVOTR is like expecting a Thomas Kinkade superfan to appreciate Pollock, Rauschenberg, or Duchamp.


/sarcasm

Dustin said...

I love Thomas Kinkade. :)

I've never heard of those other guys.

Anonymous said...

i really need to check out fleet foxes. i've heard one song, but that's it. i feel ashamed.

ever heard of good old war? you might like them. maybe.

Dustin said...

just listened to Good Old War. I liked it! good stuff. Anything else you've heard lately?