Wednesday, December 17, 2008

List December #15

Best (and worst) of 2008 Music Pt. 1
Before we get to my top 20 of 2008, today we're simply going to do honorable mentions (because that is what Pitchfork did). And then list a few letdowns and finally the worst record of the year.

Honorable Mentions:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever
This album is pretty solid, but it's not long before the dubbed falsetto starts to get irritating.




Shearwater - Rook






Slow Runner - Mermaids






Nada Surf - Lucky






Eureka Birds - S/T






Small Sur - We Live in Houses Made of Wood






Kind of a let down:

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
Can't win 'em all.





Drive By Truckers - Brighter Than Creations Dark
A few great songs, one spectacular song and then a bunch of songs I am embarrassed to listen to. Just to preempt your "you don't understand because you're not from the south" crap Rick, this album makes me thankful I don't understand.


Denison Witmer - Carry the Weight
Pretty monotonous and cliche.





Centro-Matic/South San Gabriel - Dual Hawks






Joseph Arthur and the Lonely Astronauts - Temporary People






Ben Folds - Way to Normal
I appreciate the references to Illinois but seriously Ben, it's time to get a new act. Can't bank on the whole, "I'm so nerdy and such a loser" act forever.





Horrible:

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
This entire record is highly suspicious. I actually thought it was a joke, but it turns out they were serious. It's as bad as the album cover.

6 comments:

DougieB said...

Iver only gets an honorable mention? Hm. I thought you were into all the introspective beard folk? That was in my top five for the year, easily.

Anonymous said...

You must spend a lot of money on music. And books. And coffee. ...I spend a lot of money on booze.

Aaron Stewart said...

Bon Iver isn't dubbed falsetto, they sound the same live.

Anonymous said...

Maybe My Morning Jacket PURPOSEFULLY put out a crappy album so they could undo all of their popularity and they'll come back with a good one after this?

that's my only theory on the matter.

Anonymous said...

come on, evil urges has some high points! thanks for the e.b. mention btw...

Dustin said...

That's certainly possible Justin but I had a hard time getting past Highly Suspicious! It's just hard when you love "At Dawn" My Morning Jacket and then you get an album like this. It's not that I want them to stay the same or anything, but I'm just not all that into the direction their headed.

In any case, I really enjoyed your album this year however. I hope things are going well for you guys and look forward to hearing more! Hope you guys make it out to Portland, OR sometime.