Friday, December 12, 2008

List December #12

Top Pro Wrestlers of the "Golden Era" (devin)

I don't watch professional wrestling anymore - but there was a brief time, probably from ages 6-12, that i was a fan.

My dad (for some reason) used to wake me up at 11pm on Saturday nights to watch the WWF. I had to be really quiet because my mom obviously didn't approve of my dad was letting me watch wrestling. It's weird to think back on that because my dad doesn't even like wrestling - I am not sure why he would wake me up so that we could watch it together.

Anyways - here are my favorite wrestlers from that period of time...back when wrestling was pure goodness. Without all the bad and stupid stuff...

10. George "The Animal" Steele - This guy was on his way out when is started watching. I remember that my dad took me to the Spokane coliseum and we saw this guy live. He was so fricking hairy.



9. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake - What a great name - And he used to give his opponents hideous haircuts after he beat them. How great is that!



8. Ted "The Million Dollar Man" DiBiase - Remember how he would have kids come up on stage and offer them $1000 if they could do random things...like dribbling a basketball 10 times in a row. They would be on their 9th dribble and he would swat the ball away. Classic.



7. Jake "The Snake" Roberts - I thought this guy was nuts to always carry a huge snake around his neck.



6. The Ultimate Warrior - I thought the strings around his arms actually made him stronger in some way.



5. Randy "Macho Man" Savage (with the Lovely Elizabeth) - I loved the macho man - and Elizabeth too!



4. The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) - This wasn't one of my favorite wrestlers. He just scarred me to death. And as i was reminded the other night while watching the Blazers game with Jason, Garrett, Dustin, and Jeremy, Paul Bearer looks eerily like Jeff VanGundy - coach of the Orlando Magic.



3. Hacksaw Jim Duggan - This was always one of my favorites for some reason. He seemed like a nice all-american guy.




2. Hulk Hogan - Obviously, the Hulk was my favorite, just like every kid my age. There was some crazy mystique about him. Too bad he had to make a reality show...the mystique is ruined.



1. Andre the Giant - He was so big. Remember when Hulk body slammed him?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the British Bulldogs, Junkyard Dog, and Demolition?

Garrett said...

I can stand behind The Million Dollar Man. I am fortunate enough to have an autographed picture of him hanging in my office. Helen's brother in law is good friends with his son, Teddy, who's also a wrestler. Ted is a preacher and motivational speaker now. No word on whether Virgil is a deacon in his church.

My list would include Coco B-Ware, Ravishing Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, the Mountie (Jaques Rougeau), Rick "The Model" Martel, and I.R.S. I seemed to have an affinity for the villains. Their characters were always so much better.

devin said...

garrett..i forgot about "ravishing rick rude." what a great name. i am with you on the villians...they were so much better.

Between and Becoming said...

Dustball,

I kind of can't believe you don't have Rowdy Roddy Piper up in this bitch. I still have my T-shirt and wear it proudly. I used to go to the War Memorial to see this stuff with my dad growing up all the time! This was my favorite Dustin List so far. I love these lists! They are my best!

Dustin said...

Hey Jamie,

Devin created this list, I surely would have had Roddy on the list. Actually, the pastor I work with, Bob, sees Roddy at his gym all the time. Has talked to him a few times.

DJ Word said...

tell Devin he is a bit young to do this list. He missed one of the most important (from the Andre the Giant era)

Dusty Rhodes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusty_Rhodes_(wrestler)

Dustin said...

that's right! the American Dream. I forgot about him. nice.

devin said...

Rick,

you don't think i remember Virgil Riley Runnels, Jr., born october 12th, 1945? you have assumed wrong.

he just didn't make the cut.

neither did the honkey tonk man, the iron sheik, the strike force, the junkyard dog, koko beware, et.

maybe next year old Virgil Riley Runnels, Jr. will make the cut. he's not fully retired you know.