Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Suggestions?

For my preaching class this summer, one of our projects is to preach a 15 minute sermon on one verse of scripture. I'm having a hard time picking out one singular verse because i'm not sure of many verses that aren't intricately tied to their surrounding context. There do not seem to be many verses that independently complete an entire thought. I'm not sure the exact point of this exercise, maybe he's trying to show us how difficult it is to be faithful to scripture when we rip verses out of context? I'm not really sure. But, regardless I've got to do it.

So, what verse do you suggest?

This is fun stuff, I haven't had to preach in class for about 6 years now! But it will be nice to get honest critique from people. It's hard to find constructive criticism and I'm looking forward to improving!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say you go for leviticu 15:2

Tyler said...

how about John 1:1 - at least that way you can preach a deep (theological) sermon and bash Jehovah's Witnesses at the same time.

Double Whammy!

TSHarrison said...

How about a Proverb?

or 1 Thessalonians 5:17?

or randomly how about Habbakuk 3:19.

drew moser said...

everyone in your class is going to preach from the Bible. Be different! How bout a Quranic passage? Or something from the Vedas? That would be interesting...

Betsy said...

i have no suggestions because i'm a woman and we don't know anything. just kidding. but i was just going to say that i discontinued my old blogspot so my link won't work...my website is www.xanga.com/betsylovestolaugh10. i have another blogspot but it's for kid's books reviews.

the end.

Dustin said...

thanks Chris. It's a toss up between that one and the famous Ezekiel passage.

A Proverb is not a bad route to take. that's a good suggestion!

Drew - I would get kicked out for sure.

Betsy - I have made the change. I wondered why on your blog you only talked about children's books! :)

Anonymous said...

"Jesus wept."

Short and sweet, baby!

A boy named Toadie said...

Dustin,

Have you ever spent any time on Genesis 1:1? Look at the big ideas in this one verse:

1) God's existence. God doesn't start out his story by telling everyone proof about his existence, where he came from or anything else. The Bible merely starts with the fact that God is there. wow!

2)God as a creator. Open up your imagination on this part. Consider how much brilliance God has, his handy work, how he thought out every aspect of creation.

3)There was a beginning to this world...

Just a thought.

Dustin said...

it's funny Chris, because John 13 was honestly my first thought! Sad, but true!

Gen. 1.1 is a good idea toadie. I'm considering that one! good thoughts. i'll just use that as my outline!

Anonymous said...

Habbakuk 3:19 < good choice ts.

that's my fav. verse.

go with Matthew 22:39

the whole as yourself is a sticking point

Unknown said...

I would stick with a proverb. Many complete thoughts to choose from.

Anonymous said...

quote the pasage in numbers bout slaughtering men & children, burning down town, & raping &enslaving woman, as god commanded to moses. Yeah boyeeeeeeeeee, christians rock

Dustin said...

yes,i had thought about that anon, but changed my mind last minute.