Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ben Gibbard-Roseland, Portland, OR

Last night we went to see Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) perform at the Roseland. We got there near the end of David Bazaan's (Pedro the Lion) set which we were a little thankful for. I really enjoy Pedro the Lion but seeing their live show is difficult at times because it's kind of a bore so you can imagine him going solo.

Ben Gibbard was pretty good. He did a cover of the Shins "Gone for Good." Apparently James Mercer might have been there had his wife not just delivered a baby the previous week. Bummer for us! He also surprisingly did a cover of Nirvana "All Apologies" on the piano. It was okay. Really tough to cover Nirvana! The best part of the show (aside from someone screaming, "Marry My Sister" at a really quiet moment) was when Jenny Lewis made a surprise appearance and sang a few Postal Service songs with him. I enjoy Ben Gibbard's song writing. I think he does a good job of telling stories in a way that you can feel what he was feeling and understand what was going on. He's not too vague and abstract so you can't understand, but it's not too simple that it's silly or just total pop crap either. I think he's more of a poet in that way than a songwriter. Either way, I enjoy his storytelling.

The experience left me with three thoughts:

1. I feel really old when I go to concerts like this.

2. About 80% of this crowd first heard of Death Cab for Cutie on The O.C.

How do I know that? Well, because most of them were high school/college girls who thought they were at a popular night club by the way they were dressed. Not quite the crowd DCFC first started with! The other reason is that if Ben played any song older than a song on Transatlanticism, the O.C. Death Cab fans didn't have a clue what it was. "405"? No idea! "Why You'd Want to Live Here"? Forget about it.

My favorite part of the night was the guy that was standing in front of me. He had a "cool guy" shirt on (large collar, real flashy, looks slightly European). There were a few songs that he really got into. One of those was "Title and Registration". He had his head slightly tilted back, eyes closed, swaying back and forth, moving his arms. I honestly thought he was going to cry. He apparently has been very touched emotionally by this song in particular. Why? I have no idea. When I listen to the song, i'm not sure what could really grip your heart. Anyway, after that song he pretty much just fondled his girlfriend the rest of the night.

3. I don't really enjoy going to shows all that much anymore.
I don't like being crowded in an over-sold out room (although Roseland was better than most). I don't like standing in line at the bar for 15 minutes as people cut in front of me to buy a 7 dollar beer. I don't like trying to find a place in the room where you are not standing directly behind the seven foot dude who always shows up but doesn't want to stand in the back. When I lived in NYC I went to shows ALL the time. I would go by myself just to check out new bands in fantastic venues like Bowery Ballroom but I'm just over it! I never thought I would say that but I just don't like being stuck in a crowded place with everyone pretending they have more hipster cred than everyone else. Ultimately, this all leads me back to number 1. I'm old!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would love to see him live. did he play "styrofoam plates"? i love that song.

hey, i feel the same way sometimes and i'm only 22.

i'm more into the "scene" stuff i would say and i don't care too much for going to the shows. i used to love it...but not anymore.

Dustin said...

no, he didn't play Styrofoam Plates.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dustin,

This is Ben G. Came across your site randomly. Just want to say for the record. The guy feeling "Registration" might have gone through a bad breakup. Like me, when I wrote it & it might mean a lot to him.

"There's no blame for how our love did slowly fade
And now that it's gone it's like it wasn't there at all
And here i rest where disappointment and regret collide
Lying awake at night (up all night)
When i'm lying awake at night."