Friday, May 18, 2007

Between Two Worlds

Between Two Worlds; The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century by John Stott

I just finished John Stott's classic preaching text today. I could describe Stott's book this way: Every quote from every great preacher that your preaching professor has ever said has probably came from this book! Between Two Worlds is a vast compilation of the wisdom of the greatest preachers in history and what they have to contribute on the task (or joy depending on what mood you're in) of preaching. The first half examines the place of preaching in the history of the church and the challenges for preaching in this century (which is a little dated but still has timeless elements of truth). I found the second half of the book more helpful as Stott gives his personal means of study and preparation. It's not hard to see why this book has been a valuable resource to preachers as we think about what it means to preach, the qualities of the preacher himself, and some great ideas of how a preacher should go about the task. So many gems and valuable insights. The vast amount of material can be overwhelming and a bit repetitive. Stott certainly does not say in 10 pages what he can say in 30. But I found the historical value of this book the most beneficial as how preaching has been viewed and spoken of through previous generations.

John Stott believed that clear, biblical preaching was key to the life of a community of faith. I think it is easy to see the results of weak preaching in the life of many contemporary churches who instead of preaching faithfully have decided to spend every week giving five steps to a healthy friendship or to balancing their checkbook and using scriptures here and there to illustrate their point. Why is God's word only used for illustration in contemporary preaching? I wish more preachers would look back into history and rediscover our heritage as preachers and how effective preaching can be for life transformation, rather than just drawing a crowd with life-enhancement.

I love preaching. I think it is one of the most exciting privileges a human being has. To get to speak what God has spoken carries great responsibility but also great joy. I love the time spent in study, i love the craft and creativity that goes along with it. I love good preaching, i love good preaching books, i loved my preaching classes in college. This is something I desire to spend my life working on. I think there is great power in good preaching not because of good preachers, but because of the power of the Holy Spirit when God's word is spoken. I have hope that preaching can recover from the lull it is in and I see it being recovered in churches who are tired of getting 5 more steps for having a better life and more lists of things that they should do during the week. I have hope that more and more pastors will spend the time necessary in study for their sermons on Sunday and learn to say no to unnecessary tasks. I have hope that more pastors will see the responsibility they possess and stop buying other men's sermon online and start thinking about what God has to say to the community that He has entrusted him with. I'm excited for the future of preaching.

1 comment:

The Anonymous Human said...

I Corinthians 1:17 has always been one of my favorite:

"For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."

I love the thought that the image of the cross through our preaching will be much more powerful than anything else we can communicate.

I'll have to pick up that book sometime. Good post.