Monday, January 15, 2007

Video Shakedown

Last night Craig and I broke up a robbery ring.

Ok, in all actuality we stopped one guy who was trying to steal some DVD's.

As I was on my way up front a customer informed me that a man that was headed for the door had stuffed a bunch of DVD's in his coat and pants. He stepped through the alarm system and of course it went off. I immediately stopped him and said, "sir, you've got to step back through the machine." He pulled a DVD out of his pocket and set it down saying, "sorry, I guess I forgot I put it there" and kept walking. As he walked out the door I stepped in front of him and said in the most intimidating voice I can muster, "give me the rest of the DVD's NOW." He said, "I don't have any more." Then I said, with Craig right behind me for backup, "this is your last chance, give me the dvd's right now." He pulled about three or four more out of his pocket and handed them to me and mumbled as he walked off, "I was just trying to get some dvd's man" as if I would understand his plight and give them back. So I said, "then why don't you rent them like everyone else does moron." A personal insult never hurts in the face of crime.

In any case we walked back in the store and Craig exclaimed in a proud voice, "score one for the good guys!"

Sadly, this was an exciting endeavor because we NEVER stop anyone from stealing. Unfortunately there is nothing we can really do, nor can we use any force so most people just walk right out the door and keep on a walking.

But for one night, Craig and I were heroes at the video store.

6 comments:

bill said...

man, i wish someone would make a 'high fidelity' type movie about your days at the video store.

Anonymous said...

so what you are telling me is that if I am not the least intimidated by whoever happens to be working at Hollywood that night, I can just walk out with a many dvds as my bvds will hold???

Hmm.

Dustin said...

you are absolutely correct Bob. Go nuts!

Anonymous said...

thats awesome man. that happened all the time at albertsons. one time, some dude stole some stuff and as he was getting away in his car, my buddy who worked with me threw one of those big wooden pallets at his car.

Tyler said...

out of curiosity...

what DVDs did he attempt to steal?

Dustin said...

good question Tyler. The ones I remember are Jackass II, Invincible, and Pirates of the Caribbean 2.