Thursday, October 27, 2005

New York City


Posted by Picasa
Just reminiscing with Kelli tonight about New York City. It seems like a lifetime ago that I was living at 377 Rector Place, Apt. 3G. I can't believe I lived there for two years. Life was good. I got to help start a great church, learn under a great leader, plus the woman across the back alley always got dressed in front of her window. Those two years were such a great introduction to ministry that I can't even begin to help you to understand it. I look back to when I was in California meeting with Gregg to see if he wanted to hire me. I still can't believe you hired me Gregg! Wow, what an honor to be a part of something so big!

I had so many incredible first time experiences there. it's such a cool thing to look back upon. I can't believe I did stand up comedy! How many people get that opportunity? Got to work out of an office right across the street from Madison Square Garden. I got to get a Honey Turkey Special or a Chicken Cutlet from Rick at Grace Deli everyday at 7 Dey St! Still haven't found a sandwich to match either of those! I imagine Rick was fairly upset when the Yankees lost. Wish I could hear him talk about it. I got to talk on the bus to a high school mission team who had heard I was a comic and when they made me tell them a joke the only thing that came to mind was the 25 cent peep show bit! Oops. That didn't go over well with the youth pastor! Got to host a Public School Talent Show twice and got called a Catskills Comic (I don't think that's a good thing!) The kids booed me near the end because my jokes out of Highlights Magazine got so bad! I got a bucket of water dumped on my head in the East Village walking back to my apartment! A few days later me and some guys got our revenge by throwing snow balls in her window. So many good memories in the New York days! I can’t even begin to say all that I experienced in those three years. I got to do everything!

Then there are the people. So many great people. Gregg, Jay, Paul, Teresa, Anne, Kim, Matt, Mack, Megan, Heather, Glenn, Melinda, Sundi, Stacey, Cecily, Katie, Dave, Laci, Vail!, Jill, Leslie, Jeff, Brian, Camilo, Ryan, Nick, Shimwell, Abdu!, Elvyss, Kristen, Kurt, Heidi, Bill and Laurie Clark, Brad, Noelle, RG, Mandy, Giles, Jordan, all the college students, so many people. What a great community of people! I can’t believe I was a part of bringing that together, even if it was a tiny little part.

Sometimes I forget to reflect on all the ways that God has worked over the past three years. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience in New York. There are very few things I regret. It's hard to see how blessed you are at the time, but I guess that is why reflection is such an important thing.

I really miss hanging out with my friends there at the Kabin, St. Marks Ale House, and especially more than any place else, the Peculier Pub. That is God’s gift to man and how many great times I’ve had there I can't even count. Some of the best conversations and biggest laughs of my life.

Thank you God for blessing me beyond what I can even understand! I look forward to the people we shall meet in the future. And I look forward to seeing these people I’ve mentioned again, if not in this life, then in your Kingdom when it is fully realized!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are blessed honey, we are SO BLESSED! i think we may have had the most amazing dating relationship ever. we dated in New York City and Tampa, can't get much better than the city and the beach.

mrs. bagby

The Peighs said...

For a second there, I thought your mom was talking about your dating relationship - "Mrs. Bagby" - I forget that's Kelli now!

Anyway, I just want you to know how much your time in NYC was an encouragement to me. I felt like weekly we would talk and you would share some new experience, challenge, thought, or beer. Wading through a season where I was searching within my own ministry - watching God richly bless your creativity and sincerity toward all those people you listed, gave me the perspective to say "screw what my position may be called, I'll just love people and call them to follow Jesus with me." As a result I saw God break down pride that kept me from fully experiencing him. As I look back, I attribute much of that to your time in NYC. It means more to me than you know. Thanks a ton man.

Anonymous said...

i totally thought "mrs. bagby" was deb too. oh man. that would've been awesome. no offense, kelli...you are great. you just have a few years to go with the "mrs. bagby" thing before you reach deb status. ahh...deb. dustin, i agree. having lived and ministered in denver and vegas, its is amazing to reflect on the blessing of this life that God has given. i, also, too often forget to look back and say thanks. side note: that is my brother-in-law up there talking about his sexual dysfunctions. slighty disturbing.

bill

Anonymous said...

I am actually dating Mrs. Bagby....the older one. Deb, sweet Deb.

Michael said...

I'm so confused, when did you move to Tampa, and WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH DID YOU MOVE TO TAMPA?!?!

If you're not doing anyting with your apartment in New York can I borrow it? There's $5 in it for you.