Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Problem Inside Pt. 1

As I've previously written, I've been incredibly inspired by the life and writings of John Wesley in the last few weeks and just three days ago read his "Twelve Rules of a Helper" which he wrote to those who were traveling and preaching all over England.

Two of these really connected with me:

5. Believe evil of no one unless fully proved; take heed how you credit it. Put the best construction you can on everything. You know the Judge is always supposed to be on the prisoner's side.

6. Speak evil of no one; else your word, especially, would eat as doth a canker. Keep your thoughts within your own breast till you come to the person concerned.

At my graduate school there have been many times that I have thought the worst of students, two in particular. I've been learning this past month however, that the problem isn't as much with them as it is inside of me.

Yesterday God confirmed this as I was in a separate class with each of these guys. In the first class, the student in which I have lost my temper on a few times came over, sat by me and told me that he appreciated what I had to say a few weeks back. Man, talk about killing with kindness. I felt dead indeed.

After my second class, a student whom I've always thought of as being one of those smug neo-reformed guys (that I just wrote about) came up to me and shook my hand and asked me how I was. It is rare that we've ever really talked but the fact that he approached me and showed me kindness once again confirmed that God is in the process of teaching me a few lessons.

I realized yesterday that these two guys, that I have a tendency of thinking the worst of, are actually quite kind and normal; in Seminary for the same reason I am, to be stretched and serve God faithfully for a lifetime.

7 comments:

jersnyder2 said...

Eric Devandorf...

Dustin said...

well, there are exceptions. The problem in that case, is clearly him!

Dan said...

thanks for the reminder dustin

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing! i probably needed that.

Anonymous said...

did you get the new decemberists?

Dustin said...

i do have the new one, but haven't really listened to it much yet. have you listened to it?

Anonymous said...

no! i'm too broke to buy it and haven't looked up anything online yet. i am excited though, hoping it doesn't disappoint!