Sunday, March 01, 2009

March

Mentally for me, the move into March today is extremely encouraging. Even though I know we have plenty of crappy weather left (actually, the crappy weather is probably just beginning), there is something about the move into March that just starts to feel more like Spring is coming. The expectation of longer days, for the beautiful nights of summer, for the Easter resurrection, the hiking, the BBQ'ing, the spring and summer ales...so many things to look forward to and get excited about.

March means a few things to me...

First, baseball is here. There are some spring training games on television next week and I don't even care that they are absolutely meaningless, just to watch a baseball game happening in a dry, warm place is soothing in some weird way. If just one time I can go to Arizona to watch spring training games for an entire week I will die a happy man.

Second, March Madness. For the last two years I have had class during most of the first round action. This year, not the case. I will actually be able to watch most of the first and second rounds. Kelli will be in Illinois, and I have no class on those days!

Dear Bob and Chris, I will be working at home those days. :)

Third, DST. Say what you will about George Bush (of whom I have said plenty). If he got everything else wrong, he at least made DST earlier and for that I will always remember him with praise. There is something encouraging about being in class on Monday nights and having it still be light at 7:30. Another sign that graduation is near.

No comments: