Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Jobs and Songs

God is good. I've got a job painting a house right now. I've got an interview at Borders downtown today and if that doesn't work out, i've got a job waiting for me at Hollywood video. I went to a UPS interview last night at 11pm but it didn't turn out to be like anything they said on the website. On the web it said, "starting at 9.50, full health insurance". Well, the starting rate is actually 8.50 and you only get health insurance if you work 80 hours a month, but they only promise you between 15-22 hours a week so it's completely out of your control. If they only let you work 79 some month, you don't have health insurance the next month. He also said that it takes 5-8 years to get promoted from package handler to driver there. At that point, I bid everyone adieu and walked to my car to drive home and forget any of that every happened.

Anyway, here is some stuff you should check out. You probably would have checked these out already if you would just freaking get Emusic.

The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again
This record just came out today on Sub Pop. Kelli and I used a few AL songs in our wedding last year from their last record. I saw the Album Leaf (which is mostly just one guy) perform in Brooklyn last year and it was an amazing show. I think Kelli and I will see them in Portland later this year. It's worth seeing. Mostly instrumental and electric but every now and again you'll actually get some vocals like on this song:

Always For You

M. Ward - Post War
Not much to say about M.Ward but his music just has a classic sound that you can't help but appreciate and love. I thought Transistor Radio was brilliant and I can't help but think that this is just as good, if not better.
Post War
To Go Home



Hem - Funnel Cloud
This one is for lovers of Over The Rhine. They put out a pretty cool record on my birthday of this year (Feb. 7th) called No Word From Tom which is a collection of covers including a great version of

"Rainy Night in Georgia"




Gin Blossoms - Major Lodge Victory
I realize that this may surprise some people who only know the "Empire Records" Gin Blossoms but this is a extremely sunny, catchy record that will make you happy!

Learning the Hard Way (sample)
Curious Thing (sample)



Jason Molina - Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go
Molina has been around for a while, fronting Magnolia Electric Co. which is a alt/country/roots rock band. Let me just say that this record is ions away from Magnolia rock. This is Jason with his guitar singing stripped down/bare sad songs. It sounds like he is in a prison cell moaning of his condition. With that said, I think it's beautiful.

Everything Should Try Again

No comments: