Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Books I Most Want to Read in 2011

Ok, final book post. Big sigh of relief. Nerdfest almost complete. After my last obnoxious rant, I figured I should end on a positive note. So here are the books at the top of my to-read list of next year.

1. The Pastor: A Memoir - Eugene Peterson
I will read anything Peterson writes, and this one is VERY promising.









2. Desiring the Kingdom - James K.A. Smith
Everywhere I turn, someone is reading this book. Must be good. I guess everywhere I turn someone is reading "The Secret" too though. Hmm....









3. Revelation - Gordon Fee
I'm a big Gordon Fee fan, I'm also a big Revelation fan. Not in the crazy Left Behind, John Hagee kind of way, more in the Reversed Thunder, Eugene Peterson kind of way. However, I'm really excited to see what Fee's research has produced.








4. King's Cross - Tim Keller
I've got to get my sermon material for 2011 somewhere, right?










5. Sun of Righteousness; Arise! - Jurgen Moltmann
German theologians are the best! Right?










6. The Truth Shall Make You Odd - Frank Honeycutt
I don't know anything about this book but the subtitle: "Speaking with Pastoral Integrity in Awkward Situations." Sign me up!










7. Life is Mostly Edges: A Memoir - Calvin Miller
Hopefully this will fill my memoir fix for the year.










8. Community and Growth - Jean Vanier
Heard nothing but great things.











9. The Gospel in a Pluralistic Society - Lesslie Newbigin
This is one of those "you haven't read this yet?" kind of books. The shame...oh the shame.










10. God is Not One - Stephen Prothero
I'm intrigued by the premise. Prothero says that we need to stop pretending all religions are the same in the hopes that it will bring us peace or tolerance. He actually suggests that it's this very thing that causes so many problems in our world. If we simply understood and respected the differences, things would go much better for us. Interesting!

No comments: