Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Some May Music Recs

Viva Voce - Rose City
I remember when my friend Gunnar told me about Viva Voce when I was still in high school. I liked Hooray for Now but haven't heard anything from them since then (although they've put out several records). This was a good reintroduction to a band that has changed quite a bit. If you've been wondering what's been playing at Evergreen Hawthorne on Sunday mornings before the gathering, this is it!





Son Volt - American Central Dust
I'm still a sucker for alt-country. You gotta problem with that?












Sonic Youth - The Eternal
I've never been a huge Sonic Youth fan, although I've seen them live a few times in NYC. But this record is grabbing my attention for some reason.










Great Lake Swimmers - Lost Channels
I've enjoyed everything GLS' have done. No difference here.












Jason Lytle - Yours Truly, the Commuter
I liked Grandaddy what can I say? I've heard this guy is pretty horrible live though. That's the word on the street, anyway.










Jeremy Enigk - OK Bear
I'm glad to see Enigk still on the scene and making good music. You never know what's going to happen musically after someone comes to Jesus! But he is as good as ever. Phew!









The Antlers - Hospice
I think this is a good record, and worth a listen but I don't picture myself listening to it all the time.












So far this year there still hasn't been anything that has really wowed me. I'm hoping for a strong finish for 2009!
Anything I should know about?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new Wilco...I have listened to it a few times now...even though its not out yet. But I haven't disliked anything that Tweedy and the boys have put out...and I know some didn't like Sky Blue Sky or Ghost.

Also...don't know if they are your thing...but Ben Harper and his new band (the Relentless 7) is good.

Garrett said...

mewithoutYou's new album, "it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream! it's alright", is pretty amazing stuff. But so are all of their albums