Saturday, June 12, 2004

THE DECEMBERISTS! WOW!

Last night a new friend of mine Adam and I went to see The Decemberists at Bowery Ballroom. It was one of the best shows I have seen since I have been here and I have seen A LOT of shows. They are incredibly unique musically. I have never heard a voice like Colin's before nor heard music involving that many instruments. They had everything! Accordion, steel guitar, upright bass, flute, a big band bass drum and a woman drummer. You don't see too many of those. If you haven't heard The Decemberists, check them out. I would listen to their EP first which is just called Five Songs. And then check out Castaways and Cutouts. I'm not trying to be a music snob because that is just irritating but it's sad to see a band so talented musically not be commercially succesful and then you watch TV and see bands like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Matchbox 20, bands who just started playing instruments when they decided, "Hey it would be cool to start a generic rock band." What a sad day but at the same time if bands like The Decemberists were commercially successful on a large scale I wouldn't get to see them in a venue that only holds 500 people either. So I guess it works out for me, it's just unfortunate for them.

No comments: